[pct-l] Mountain Lion Attack

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Jan 26 12:59:33 CST 2007

There's a great deal of dimension to the book that the blurb doesn't cover, and the explosion of wildlife due to game management policies is a huge topic within it's covers.   It's a Krakauer-like analysis of the death of a high school student in Boulder, CO, killed and eaten by a mountain lion, and all of the factors leading up to his death and subsequent mountain lion attacks (still ongoing in Boulder and surrounds).  The book is considered definitive, and you'll often see David Barron quoted and interviewed when mountain lions attack humans anywhere.

In Boulder, the mountain lion population increased in the urban areas because the Boulderites would not allow the deer to be hunted, and the deer population within the "city" (hard to call Boulder a city) increased.  Seems the folks in Boulder loved the deer and hunting was banned.  The lions came in after the deer, but found easier pickins' with domesticated pets, and ultimately people.  Sounds like a similar situation with the elk, although not in an urban setting.

This is a topic I find fascinating, and one where I sometimes find myself cheering for the predators.   Check out this site showing a listing of documented mountain lion attacks in the US since the 1800s.  To Jeff's point, the attacks begin to increase dramatically when we stopped hunting the mountain lions.

www.users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/attacks.htm

L-Rod