[pct-l] Esbit Vs. Wheldon LW Gear Fuel

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Sat Jan 27 12:38:27 CST 2007

I did a bit of experimenting with the fuel tablets sold by Lynne Wheldon vs.
Esbit.  Here was the result

The tablets sold by LW Gear (www.lwgear.com) are round, come in some green
box that looks like Coleman (but it is not).  I can not remember the name
and I had tossed the box.

First, yes - the LW Gear tablets left a couple small spots of ashes.  Though
I could see no problem with having a half a sugar cube of ash left.  I think
the Esbits put more soot on the pot, though this is hard to measure.  This
might be why the Esbit has so little ash; it may be going up with the heat.

Set-up
70 degrees inside temp, no wind, no lid, no heat shield, 600ml of water in a
small titanium pot.  Water about 60 degrees.
Since the round fuel tabs are smaller, I used about 2.25 of the LWGear
tablets get the same weight of fuel as one Esbit.  The LW Gear says 1/4
ounce and the Esbit says 1/2.  However, these are rounded and I used a scale
to be sure the fuel weight was equal. I did bring everything back to room
temperature for the second test.  Neither brought the water to a boil.
However there was no screen, no lid.  I did test the fuel after with screen
and lid and even at 600ml it was rolling in about 8 minutes.

The test was just to determine burn time and heat.  Both lit-up equally
using a bic lighter.

Esbit
Min's	Degrees (F)
5	142
8	182
10	200 (peak)
13	out

LW Gear
Min's	Degrees (F)
5	158
8	183
10	192	(peak)
13	out

As you can see.  The LW Gears product comes out of the gate strong. I think
because it is smaller pieces it has more surface area and spends quicker up
front.  They both peak at 10 minutes with 8 degrees better on Esbit.  Both
burn out at about 13 minutes.  My conclusion is they are just about the same
in performance per gram.

The cost per meal
Esbit $0.496 (1 tablet)
LWGear $0.375 (2.25 tabs)
Savings 25% - 33% (see savings explanation below)

I do not think you would likely use 2.25 tablets.  You are likely to use
either 2, or 3.  So, on a 2 tablet LWGear meal you are at 33% savings, at a
3 tablet meal you are at about break even with Esbit.  I think it is fair to
say after some 2 tabs and 3 tabs you will realize an overall savings.  Also,
with colder water and in outside temps below 70 you may always use three
tabs of LWGear and 1.5 of Esbit.  If that is the case, you can call it an
overall 32% savings.

Via LWGear you do not pay sales tax (except in PA), but do take shipping
charges.  REI no shipping, but sales tax.  So, I am going to call that part
a wash.

A couple other notes.  I like buying from Lynne.  I like supporting small
enterprises.  Lynn's fuel has no blister packs leaving no trash to stuff
however I am not sure how the little blister packs may protect the fuel.

Best to the group,
BillB