[pct-l] Mountain Lion Attack

Freiman, Paul pfreiman at ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 27 15:59:30 CST 2007

When Iris died at the mouth of a mountain lion years ago in Cuyamaca Park a PCTer friend did a research project.  A male lion needs an area of 50 square miles. Rancho Cuyamaca is 42 square miles. There are estimated to be over 50 lions in it.  My point: there isn't a "perfect balance of nature".  More lions exist when there is mule deer food, then the overpopulation of lions eat the deer, and the deer thin out.  But before the balance of nature can equilibrate we have some hunger lions with the weak males shunted to the edges (Iris died right next to a campground.  In fact, a lion came into the campground in broad daylight looking for a tasty youth before being discouraged by the family dog).
And AsABat is correct. The Borrego desert bighorn population is being shreaded by over half because of the lion.  I've seen them in both places.
Capt Bivy