[pct-l] Mountain Lion Attack

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Jan 27 18:53:04 CST 2007

During a resupply at Timberline I found that the only book they had was
one about cougar attacks.  It was fiction, supposedly based on stuff
that actually happened, and good.  It is by J.R. Stoddard, called Cougar
Camp.

One of the stories in the book concerned a woman who had gone hiking
alone.  A mother and her three cubs didn't understand about tents and
gently swiped it with their paws.  The woman cut a hole in the floor of
the tent and walked the mile or so back to her BMW convertible, the cats
following her the whole time, swiping the tent with paws, claws not out
obviously.  She made it into her car and started to drive away.  ONe of
the cats jumped on the roof and starting clawing the roof.

I read this miles from any road or hiker, while camped 100 yards off the
trail.  I finished the book just south of Ollalie and left it on a rock
next to the trail, glad to be done with it.  That was the evening that
Frisian Rhino walked by...

Jeff, just Jeff...