[pct-l] Mountain Lion Attacks

Bighummel at aol.com Bighummel at aol.com
Sun Jan 28 12:32:21 CST 2007

First, at the last ADZ we had an expert from SD county on Mtn Lions come
give a great talk to PCT'ers and we will again try to get one there this year to
alleve aspiring hiker's worries and educate them about this.

Secondly, this is a very good reason to carry an ice axe and/or trekking
poles through risky Mtn Lion areas.  Raising you arms with the trekking  poles
makes you appear larger and more potentially threatening to a lion, and,  of
course, an ice axe in the hand is a wicked weapon to wield and could impart  some
serious injury to the lion in an attack, and thereby help to prevent it or
thwart it once begun.

Me?  I hiked the trail when the mountain lion population was hunted to
extremely small numbers and saw none, not a paw print in the trail, nada.   Too few
Mtn lions means too many starving deer.  Too many Mtn lions means  too little
food sources for the lions and thus hungry lions.

Oh, and it helps to be really, really big, like . . . well  . .  .  6'9"!!!

Greg "Strider" Hummel

("an ice axe in the hand is worth two in the  bush!")