[pct-l] mountain lions

christin pruett christinpruett at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 16:00:27 CST 2007

I just looked up some stats on this and contrary to popular opinion mountain
lions do not attack women or children preferentially... at least not based
on the numbers. Of the 53 attacks that I found on the web in US and Canada
(years 1890-2007), 32 were adults and 21 were children. Of adults 16 were
men 16 women; children 14 boys and only 5 girls with 2 unided sexes. Of
course these numbers could be biased if larger numbers of men than women are
available for attack. However, it is interesting to note that many of these
attacks occurred close to human habitations that are likely to be frequented
by both sexes. Check out this website:

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html

I guess the take home: only 53 attacks in over 100 years! The chances of
being struck by lightning must be astronomically higher. Also there is no
evidence that supports the idea that mountain lions are more likely to
attack a woman who is menstruating. That is a myth.

As far as I know, no hiker on the pct has ever been attacked by a mountain
lion.

I also found out that in Los Angeles alone 37 people were attacked by
coyotes in a span of about 30 years. I wonder how many hikers have been
attacked by domestic dogs.

I think I'd be more worried about being run over while crossing a road or
being picked up by some psycho when hitchhiking than being attacked by a
lion.

Christy