[pct-l] Bear Cannisters

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jan 31 18:37:18 CST 2007

Jeff, Just Jeff,

Is it really an exception? I think it's a reiteration that JMT and PCT hikers have to have the cannisters.  The regulation states:

"Through hikers along the Pacific Crest Trail and the John Muir Trail with a valid wilderness permit must use portable, park approved, bear-proof food storage containers _*or camp at sites with food storage lockers and use the lockers.*"

So, you have to have one or the other -- and since there are stretches without bear boxes, by default you would have to have the bear can.

If we could just convince the Inyo National Forest to put in bear boxes, it might be possible to get through without the cannisers.  I know I slept so much better when my food and toiletry items were in the bear boxes.

L-Rod