[pct-l] Oregon section hike

Steve Fosdick hikin_steve at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 11:41:32 CDT 2007

Zach,

  From Big Lake Youth Camp to the Crater Lake PO, its about 168 miles. You should easily be able to complete this hike in 14 +/- days, average about 21 mi/day.

  When I did my 55 mile hike, I met two couples going south, both started at the Columbia river, one was headed to Crater Lake and the other was heading to Lake Tahoe. Going South, you will have meet some of the thru hikers heading North.

  Going solo is a great idea. It gives you the opportunity to learn what you can do. I like having time to think, and some of my greatest ideas have come to me while hiking/biking solo on a long trip.

  Have a great time on your hike.

  Hikin_Steve

Zachary Hale <zacriah85 at gmail.com> wrote:
    Steve,

  Thanks for writing. Sounds like quite the hike you had. Too bad you couldn't make it to Hood though. I actually went up to Olallie Lake for my first time with my family for the 4th. A really beautiful area. So many lakes! Yes the mosquitoes were still there though. But I'm looking forward to going back hopefully soon.

  I've been kicking around the idea of hiking south from hwy 22  to Crater Lake. I think that's about half the PCT of Oregon. Do you think that's doable in 2 weeks? Still haven't found anyone to go with me, but I won't let that hold me back. I just got to do some good time on the PCT this summer. Thanks again sharing!

  Zach