[pct-l] flying with gear (stoves)

Junaid Dawud jdawud at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 21:50:45 CDT 2007

I once had to argue with a TSA guy for 20 minutes
before he let me take my snowpeak gigapower (canister
stove w/out canister) on the plane.  I finally
convinced him, but it was no easy task.  From this
I've learned that getting a sticker that says
something like "certified clean on ??/??/????, by
___________" helps.  Also, I put my pack in my
sleeping bag storage bag to protect the straps and
discourage excessive searching.  I also have gotten in
the habit of noting any items that might get the Xray
scanners attention, and then I write a nice note to
the TSA listing these items and explaining their
importance to my trip and the irreplaceable
sentimental and practical value they have to me.  I
also put them near the top of the pack.  If you have
anything that a TSA agent MIGHT get funny about, check
it.

-----------speshul41