[pct-l] PCT planning questions

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 10 20:10:07 CDT 2007

Starting in late August or early September, it would be almost impossible to complete the trail northbound (no one ever has, to my knowledge) and very difficult to do southbound (though a few people have done so).  Winter weather would close down too many high mountain areas starting in approximately mid-October.

Seasonal considerations put pretty firm constraints around the start dates for "normal" thru-hikers.  Northbound, you'd want to start in late April or early May.  Southbound, you'd want to start in late June or early July.  It's hard to start earlier than those dates because the snow hasn't melted yet, and it's hard to start later because you'd likely hit the next winter's snow before you finished.  Extremely strong hikers can start later and still make it, of course, but don't fool yourself about what "extremely strong" means.  They're not common.  :-)

Eric