[pct-l] PCT planning questions

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Tue Jul 10 20:55:23 CDT 2007

My experience is that late August is the ideal time to do the John
Muir Trail. If you go north to south, you would then be out of the
high country and could keep going south all the way to the border.
This year, however, you might run into problems with water
availability and have to either carry a lot or skip around some
sections. If you start in Yosemite Valley, the first day is all
uphill. If you start in Tuolumne Meadows on the PCT and go south you
can get used to the altitudes and climbing as you go and be in good
walking shape for all the high passes.

Pieces