[pct-l] The PCT - Why so many lists?

jane windsor janelwindsor at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 14:14:57 CDT 2007

 I am section hiking the PCT this year and next, having moved to a university on the west coast from back east.  My previous experiences have been with hiking the A.T.

I am wondering why there is such a plethora of mailing lists and web sites for disseminating information on the PCT?
For the A.T. there is whiteblaze.net, a single source for trail conditions, experiences and an ever-increasing knowledge base for hikers. There is even a thread for the PCT that has more information than some dedicated PCT sites including the official PCTA web site.

The best site I have found for the PCT is http://adventureonthepct.com/ but it seems to be sparsely attended, with few contributions.
I can understand that some thru-hikers need a mailing list that can be directed to a portable device but the rest of us would be better off using a web forum where archive material on subjects like "flying with stoves" can easily be accessed.

I’m not being an “East Coast elitist”. I just wonder why the web forums are so poor out here.
Red Hat