[pct-l] Sierra mosquitos in late July

cmkudija at ca.rr.com cmkudija at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 12:48:33 CDT 2007

Bring the DEET but leave the headnet at home or in your car.  It's been dry
enough this year that the mosquito hordes will be gone by the end of the
month.  There will be some - but frankly, THIS year it won't be anywhere
near what it was like last year, and even three weeks will make a difference
in the Sierran skeeter population (the slender-winged Sierran butterflies, I
mean :)).  Having a small Repel 100 spray bottle or tube of Ultrathon should
be sufficient.   During my last two section H hikes - 2005 & 2006, late
August/early September in heavy snow years, comparable to late July this
year w/respect to surface water in meadows & shallow lakes  - I rarely used
repellent.  I don't hesitate to use it when needed - I have a definite hate
relationship with mosquitoes.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Ceanothus (see-ah-no-thus) or California lilac:  Shrubs or small trees,
often with divaricate, sometimes spiny, twigs...[flowers] small but showy,
white to blue or purplish, sometimes lavender or pinkish, borne in terminal
or lateral panicles or umbellike cymes.
                                                               Philip A.
Munz
                                                               A California