[pct-l] Hiker spotting and no ca weather

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Wed Jul 18 15:32:59 CDT 2007

Delighted to say I've been able to spend a little time with both section and thru hikers.

Monday p.m. and Tuesday a.m. got section hikers Susan and Ralph Alcore? Accord? to/from Dunsmuir and Soda Creek crossing under I-5. They headed up into Castle Crags State Park Tuesday looking rested and anxious to continue on to Ashland where they will finish up for this season.

This morning met Yogi and Charlie and Barb at their motel and got us to Black Bear for breakfast; and them to Castella. All three look great: happy and strong. Yogi spent two days at Drakesbad waiting for the next hiker to come along and bring her "left behind" contacts!

We are having some very unusual weather for the last 12 hours. Started raining- hard -about midnight and all morning long. It depends on where you are at what particular moment as to whether its raining and as to how hard at this time. Here we got 3/4 in 5 hours. Usually we get the summer thunder storms with a down pour of rain, but short lived. This has been absent lightening thankfully and the rain is lasting much longer.

I left Yogi, Charlie and Barb with slight drizzle but no telling what they will be hiking into. Clouds all over the area. I've tried to get an up-to-date fire report but my usual site is disappointing me. The InciWeb site has an 85% containment of the China-Back Complex, but, the information in reference to Elk Complex has not been up-dated since yesterday. I just called my sister in Happy Camp and she reports about 3/4" of rain there also and no smoke at the moment. We wait for Deems to give us the nitty-gritty.

are we there yet