[pct-l] Mt. Whitney meeting place

cmkudija at ca.rr.com cmkudija at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 18 17:51:22 CDT 2007

When you say "near Mt. Whitney," do you mean on the trail itself or in town
or at the trailhead?  Certainly there's motels & campgrounds in and near
Lone Pine (the closest town to the Mt. Whitney access trails), but if she'll
be hiking in she'll need a day or overnight permit for the Whitney Trail;
both day use & overnight permits have quotas.  She'll have to check the Inyo
Nat'l Forest Whitney permit website
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/whitneyavail.shtml for current
availability.  Today August is listed as "full" for both day and overnight
use - but there are always cancellations.

She can always hang out at the Whitney Portal Store's picnic tables (more or
less near the trailhead, can't miss it), have a burger, people-watch or
read, and wait for you to arrive there on the 12th.  Or vice versa.

Imho, anywhere outside of town, perhaps one of the roads to Death Valley,
would be a great spot to watch the Perseids.  Good luck!

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Ceanothus (see-ah-no-thus) or California lilac:  Shrubs or small trees,
often with divaricate, sometimes spiny, twigs...[flowers] small but showy,
white to blue or purplish, sometimes lavender or pinkish, borne in terminal
or lateral panicles or umbellike cymes.
                                                               Philip A.
Munz
                                                               A California