[pct-l] looking for an east of shasta cutoff advice

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 18:13:56 CDT 2007

Roni,
I agree with Marshall...take the PCT all the way.  The section between
Burney Falls and Castella is not so nice, but the section from Castella to
Seiad Valley and on into Oregon is great!  You should be able to hike 15
miles per day especially by resupplying in Etna, Seiad Valley and again at
Callahan's on I-5.  The reason the PCT was routed to the west of Mt. Shasta
is because of the hot, dry conditions you would find if you take the
shortcut you propose.  And why would you not want to eat pancakes in Seiad
Valley?

Roger