[pct-l] looking for an east of shasta cutoff advice

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Fri Jul 20 19:19:59 CDT 2007

I'm kind of stubern (and stupid) enough to insist on the cutoff.
  I kind of hiked the official trail a few years ago, and apart from section
P, I was less than enthusiastic about the estetic qulities of most of the
stuff I'm skipping.  I'd prefer the site of an early campsite after a short
day of hiking, over the site of the trinity alps.  Finding an alternate
route sounds much more chalenging to me.

  Anyone know where I can find a delorme road atlas between chester and
burney?  The road atlases I'v found here in the chester library are quite
inadiquete.

  Roni
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roni,
You are basically trying to follow the original route from the Lassen
National Park area north to the Oregon border. It is covered in the original
Pacific Crest Trailways 1945 Guidebook by Clinton Clarke. Your first
challenge at 15miles per day is water. Once you get past McCloud, Calif
going north over Military Pass you will have a very long dry stretch, much
more than 15-25 miles. I'm not trying to dissuade you tho. I know you are an
experienced PCT hiker. I recommend that you stop into the McCloud Ranger
District Office/Shasta Trinity Nat Forest in McCloud, Calif. They can give
you the Shasta Nat Forest Map, and maybe a Klamath Nat Forest map. Also try
the fire station in Old Station, or any USFS station, and they may have the
STNF, Lassen NF, and KNF to give/or sell you.. Once you cross Military Pass,
on the east flank of Mt Shasta, you will be on the Klamath NF. The original
route went over Military P, to Goosenest Mtn, and up to the crest east of
I=5 and down to Copco Lake; today, you'll be walking on roads the whole way.
The next link may take you to the original PCT 1945 guidebook, but with the
two USFS Maps for the KNF and STNF, you may be able to find a watered route
that will work. It's been a dry year up here, so you may need to rely on the
charity of others in trucks you meet for water and info.  Earlier planning
would have helped you on this one, but you may just be able to find the way
along Clinton Clarke's original PCT too! Good luck, and have fun!

http://pcttrailway.pctplanner.com/   Pages 71 and 72 have some info for the
section from McCloud to Oregon..