[pct-l] New Hiking Poles Arrived

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Sat Jul 21 18:09:06 CDT 2007

 "Tortoise" wrote:

> * IMHO, normally one shouldn't be using the hands and poles to carry
> one's weight. Our legs are stronger in both muscle and bone and adapted
> to carrying our weight; not so our arms. I only transfer weight on
> difficult or rugged uphill or downhill when I need the assist for balance.

I find using poles helps me hike more efficiently, by reducing the 'sway'
encountered when transferring weight from one leg to another, which reduces
the amount that my torso dips on each step.    I would make a WAG that I
average about five to ten percent of my load being transferred to my poles,
and while just a little, it still makes a goodly difference over the long
haul, especially as my back has gotten older.

Jon