[pct-l] Need Info

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Jul 26 12:46:35 CDT 2007

Yes, we've been up to Islip Saddle the past two weekends, heading back again this coming weekend.  The only roads I am aware of that will take you through are Angeles Crest Highway (this is Hwy 2 and it's paved).  Also, Santa Clara Divide Road 3N17 (dirt road between Angeles Forest Hwy and Angeles Crest that goes all the way to Sand Canyon in Santa Clarita) is open, though that won't help you much if you're coming up from the L.A. side.

As AsABat indicated, 39 is closed, though we did see cyclists using it.  In fact, the whole Crystal Lake area is closed to camping.  Don't let that stop you though -- there's plenty of camping up there, and we saw some really sweet spots (the Mt. Williamson cut-off trail had some good ones, and the top of Mt. Islip is beautiful).  There's a spring near Little Jimmy, but we didn't check it out since we were carrying adequate water for our journey.

Hope this helps!

L-Rod