After Action Report – Mt. Humphrey PCT Training Hike

carol bruno carolwbruno at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 15:11:06 CDT 2007

Nice report---including some brutal honesty....Enjoyed visiting with you guys and hope Mount Humphrey didn't scare you away from Arizona hiking.  Even though our tents were poised on the side of a cliff and Halo insisted on sleeping in my down bag, I had a lot of fun.  Hope to see you again along the PCT sometime.  /can'tquit

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:

Yes, once again, your  fearless trail mountaineer, Switchback, has challenged death and Mother Nature  and survived.  This is to prepare  for the ultimate outdoor experience, the Pacific Crest Trail thru  hike.

 This training  expedition was to renowned 12,633 foot Mt. Humphrey near Flagstaff, AZ.   A mountain famous for high winds, changing weather, strenuous trail, and  many a dashed hope.  Expedition  members included famous professional hikers MeadowsEd and Can’tQuit.  Can’tQuit brings her dog, Halo, to  provide camp guard duties.  Halo is  always alert for strange sounds and friendly pets.

 On Wednesday I pick up  MeadowsEd at the Las  Vegas bus station.   Later that day we meet former thru hikers Eagle Eye and Jackalope for  dinner at Claim Jumpers.  The next  day we drive to the Flagstaff holiday Inn Express.  Each of us has luxurious double queen  single rooms.  We figure that  staying a day in Flagstaff will help us with  acclimation.

 A nice lunch at the  Cracker Barrel and then a well deserved meritorious combat nap ensues.  Slowly I wake up head down to the  motel’s Jacuzzi and indoor/outdoor pool combo.  MeadowsEd is already there in the  Jacuzzi relaxing surrounded by thousands of bubbles, while talking to  folks.

 Later we drive up to  the trailhead parking lot to recon the area.  Then we stop at the Snow Bowl restaurant  for the Thursday’s night half off special of Buffalo wings.  The NBA playoffs are on the eatery tube,  so a very pleasant evening is completed watching the game, while munching  copious amounts of tasty wings.

 On Friday we hit the  Cracker Barrel again for breakfast.   Then it is over to the Ranger station to gather intel.  A visit to the old town area for  shopping and to checkout the local scene is completed.  Can’tQuit calls and says she has arrived  in town.  We meet her and head for  lunch at a place she recommends.  It  is a converted old house into a restaurant.  A very nice meal and then we head to the  trailhead to start the hike.

 MeadowsEd and Can’tQuit  quickly are ready to hit the trail, while I struggle to complete my  preparations.  Halo is pulling on  her leash to start the adventure.   Everyone is excited as they move out.  I will catch up  later.

 As I move across the  grassy open area near the ski lifts, I notice I am not acclimated.  But I bravely move forward and upward as  I enter the pine/aspen trees in excellent hiking weather.  The trail is very popular and well worn,  but is steep.  It is only 4.5 miles  to the top, but it is rated a very strenuous hike.

 I am breathing hard as  the others patiently wait periodically for me to catch up.  My pack is very light.  My waist belt Hydration Integration  system is working fine too.  Yes,  this expedition, which was full of promise and a sense of triumph, is turning  into a Switchback struggle for survival.   As we approach 10,000 feet we make our planned camp for acclimation.  There is very little level ground.  I pitch my tent on the only place I can  find, which is on a slight slope.

 My MSR Hubba tent is  very nice.  I really like the side  door entry.  I need to add a ceiling  attic for tent gear.  The small side  storage pouch is not large enough.   During the night I slide and have to readjust myself and I get up once to  reset the tent.  If I was on level  ground, it would be a nice campsite.   The tent and my sleeping pad system works fine.  I have fun listening to my radio during  the night and drink lots of water.   I check my blood sugar periodically, which is a little high, but  okay.

 In the morning I  announce that going on up is bad and going down is good.  I tell the other expedition members that  I will wait at the parking lot and talk to the Trail Days folks, who are  preparing to work on the trail.  No  problem.  They say that they have no  problem going back down.  Can’tQuit,  who has summited the peak before is just out for a nice hike with her dog,  Halo.  MeadowsEd has other options  to come back and hike the mountain trail.

 Going down is not easy  too.  I am glad to finally arrive at  the parking lot.  I am breathing  strong and move in slow motion.  I  am very glad that I decided to come down.   All my gear has worked fine, but I can tell the blood sugar is a  sensitive area out on the trail for me.   Can’tQuit has gone ahead and has already left her Phoenix area home.  MeadowsEd and I drive back to Las Vegas and I drop him  off at the bus station.  I shower  and fall immediately asleep in my TV chair for 3 hours.  I wake up to enjoy the NBA  playoffs.

 My wife notices me  typing on my computer as I watch the game.   I tell her I am doing my After Action Report.  She says, "What action?"

 In spite of this  comment, another successful road trip completed, if not a totally successful  hike.  But at my age I am satisfied  and had fun with some adventure.  I  always have lots of fun no matter what happens.

 Respectfully submitted,  Switchback the Trail  :Pirate

See what's free at AOL.com.