[pct-l] raingear

Linda Bakkar lbakkar at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 21:22:46 CDT 2007

Jo writes..."My husband and I will be hiking in Washington State this year.
Having
completed California and Oregon in Frogg Toggs, we're wondering if we should
stick with them in Washington. We have had very little rain on our hikes so
far and anticipating more, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any thoughts on
the relative merits of the marmot precip pants, which we usually use in the
snow. Since the latter zip up to the waist, they have the benefit of
allowing us to get more air (less sweat and heat) when not needed or in
light rain. On the downside, they are heavier than Frogg Toggs and probably
take longer to dry. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks,
Jo

Jo, I live in Washington and I own both Frogg Toggs and the Marmot Precip.
I bought the Precip because of my son's success with it on a soggy hike on
the coast.  I have used both kinds of raingear, and I still like the Frogg
Toggs the best.  On one rainy backpack, my Frogg Toggs dried out completely
during a cold and windy break in the storm, while my friend's raingear
(older Precip) stayed damp.  The downside is that Frogg Toggs are bulky.
But I keep gravitating toward the Frogg Toggs, anyway.  Besides, I like
being able to put my hands through the pocket openings (not true pockets)
and get into the pockets in my hiking pants for things I need while moving.
My Precip pants don't have that feature.

In rain, I also use an umbrella that fastens to the packstraps in front so
that I can still use my hands for the trekking poles.  (Switchback has some
good ideas about that!)  And I also pack everything in plastic, keeping the
items that absolutely need to remain dry in their own bag, ... items that
could be wet, such as the stove, food bag, and maybe the tent (unless it is
in the mesh on the outside of my pack) in another bag ... and the things
most people keep in the top pouch of their packs (Ten Essentials type items)
  I keep in a small separate plastic bag on top.  (I don't use the top
pouch, usually.)   I also use a pack cover during heavy rain.   I have
experience in hiking in heavy downpours where I had to bail due to getting
wet.  But I learned, and I went out in it again.  The driest I have ever
been during such a downpour, I used Frogg Toggs and an umbrella (along with
my new packing strategies.)  The last time I was in that kind of rain, I
remained dry and could have continued, but it was the end of the trip.

Good luck, and I hope you are happy with whatever you decide!

Lindy
(no trail name yet, but one brewing with some of my friends)
hoping for a 2008 thru-hike of the PCT