[pct-l] Colin Fletcher passes

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Jun 14 22:28:39 CDT 2007

Thank you for providing us with the sad news.

I learned about backpacking from /The Complete Walker/, first edition,
ninth printing. I've since bought and read the 3rd and 4th editions and
treasure them all. I never met him but felt as I new him from reading
his books.

His style was more "heavy weight" rather than the ultra-light favored on
this list. Perhaps I've carried excess stuff because of him. OTOH I felt
secure that I had enough gear to carry me thru. He was a great
instructor and a great popularizer of backpacking.

We will all miss him! The next time you are out in a particularly
beautiful spot, please have a toast in his memory.

With tears in my eyes and sadness in my heart.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>