[pct-l] JMT Permit......BAD ADVICE given

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Fri Jun 15 10:14:55 CDT 2007

The fastest, easiest way?  Call the reservation office, and reserve your
permit.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/permits.htm#reserve

However, the advice given earlier, to reserve a PCT permit, and use it for
the JMT, is JUST WRONG.

The PCTA is granted the authority to write permits, as far as I know, the
only such entity able to write wilderness permits outside the Forest or
Park service in California.  It is a great privilege, and a great
convenience for PCT hikers.

If people are known to be "cheating" by fraudulently getting permits to do
the JMT, by getting a PCT permit from the PCTA, this privilege could be
lost.  I'm sure it happens, rarely.  But there is no reason to, as one can
easily get a permit, above.

It is lunacy to advocate "cheating" and putting the entire PCTA process in
jeopardy.  It is likewise bad to try to create a bias in the useage
pattern by false permits.

You may think that nobody notices this activity, but you'd be surprised at
how many people like wilderness managers and rangers read these forums.