[pct-l] JMT Permit......BAD ADVICE given

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 13:39:34 CDT 2007

As Jack pointed out, the dividing line is clear: 500 miles along the PCT.
The uses you've described -- JMT or "folks who get a thru permit every year,
so they can hike at will without burdening agencies or themselves with
getting individual permits" -- don't come close.

The PCT permit doesn't restrict users to a particular place and time, which
is precisely why its use should be reserved for prospective long-distance
hikers. It's a useful tool for agencies and LD hikers for all the reasons
you describe. (I wish such a convenience existed in '77!) But to say that
you're doing the land-management agencies a favor when the real purpose is
to circumvent trail quotas and the inconvenience of getting a permit for a
"short" hike into the wilderness is disingenous.

Cheers,
Carl