[pct-l] Mammoth area loop

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 17:51:28 CDT 2007

I'm an amateur on this area, but seems like:

1. Devil's Postpile to Ruby Lake via the JMT.  Nice
camping ledges with rock stools around a camp ring, if
you follow a use trail up from the lake bowl.  Bears
around here.  If that's too long of a first day, try
the use trail around Garnet Lake.

2. Continue on the JMT, drop camp at the tarn around
Island Pass, then go up to Donohue Pass and return to
camp.  I wished i had more time around this area.

3.  Leave camp and explore off trail.  Lots of peaks,
difficult and easy.  Or to lighten the next day, pack
up camp in the afternoon and start back on the...

4.  return via the River Trail to Agnew and then PCT
to Devil's Postpile and Red's.

Another way to do it would be to just do 2 seperate
overnight jaunts to lighten your load and enjoy the
hot spring showers and meals at Red's Meadow in
between:  1st one up the JMT and back on the PCT, 2nd
one either off trail to the west, or south on the
Cascade Valley Trail to Fish Creek and the hot spring
and back.

p.s. take me with you.