[pct-l] Trip Information

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 27 12:26:45 CDT 2007

Kansas Ed,

I just today came back from hiking Tuolomne Meadows to Lake Tahoe (Echo
Lake)
-- this includes the section you want to hike.  Some comments --

-- This section is most definitely not all downhill!  You can expect about
one mile
of total climbing per 20 trail miles throughout this part of the Sierra.
The climb
immediately north of Sonora Pass is a nice introduction!

The trail has very few ³markers,² but the tread is generally very obvious
and easy to
follow.   The one exception I saw in my 150 mile jaunt is in the section you
want to hike.
After the big climb out of Sonora Pass there is a mile or two where the
trail is intermittently
snow covered, washed out or obscured by brush.  You can follow it by reading
the terrain, but
life will feel more secure if you have the PCT guidebook (you can buy it
from PCTA).  Tear out
the relevant pages and take them with you.  I hike a lot, and I wouldn¹t
consider going into
that big wilderness without a good map and compass.  An altimeter is handy
too.

The guidebook has elevations of selected points, but these are a gross
underestimate
of the actual amount of climbing.  Many a 300 foot ridge gets lost in the
coarse
sampling -- and when carrying a backpack at those elevations, a 300 foot
climb
is non-trivial.

The weather should be beautiful (as close to perfect as it gets) in July.
It was that way
last week.

I don¹t treat the water, but drink directly from the streams ‹ never had the
slightest problem.
Many people do what I do, others treat.   It seems to be a personal choice,
perhaps driven
by personal vulnerability to waterborne critters.

Mosquitoes weren¹t a problem there last week, and there will be even fewer
in July.

Have a great time!

Tom Bache
San Diego

PS.  Go as light as you can manage!  If you aren¹t sure you need it, leave
it home.

Message: 8