[pct-l] Quilts vs bags - ha!

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Mon Mar 5 20:02:52 CST 2007

Very good info!  Thanks Bill!

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Batchelor [mailto:billbatch at cox.net]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 5:21 PM
To: paul at bluebrain.ca; 'Matt Bradley'; 'PCT-L'
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Quilts vs bags - ha!

First,  I will second the ray-way sizing.  Add a few inches side to side on
the measurements, and two three inches to the length.  The two new features,
draft-stopper and Gorget may make the slight under-sizing problem non
existent.  However, a couple inches too big is much better than too small.

I have made two Ray-Way quilts.  - Love them.  I will be carrying one of
them on my trip.  They have a new fabric now too that is supposed to hold a
bit more heat in, still breath, and not weight.

The one I plan to bring on the PCT has the "Alpine" upgrade making it rate
at 28 degrees.  Everyone's personal cold threshold is different.  My
experience is that the Alpine is fine for me to about 30.  Below that it
gets a bit cool.  So, the rating seems fair.

I toss and turn a lot.  As such, I tend to open gaps in the sides
momentarily on the flips.  During most PCT nights of mid 30's or 40, this is
no big deal.  On the occasional sub-28 degree night, those gaps give away
precious heat.  So the trick is, how to keep the edges held down on those
nights.  You will see many variations on "hold down" options on the Ray-Way
site to hold the edges down for those colder than rated nights.  Here is
what I did. I found at REI a small "clothes line"  (see link below for
actual item).  This clothes line is a simple line with a series of clips
along it.  The clips weigh a few grams at best.  They snap open and closed
to grab fabric for hanging.   I bought this clothes line just to get the
little clip/snappers.  I attached two clips to the end of some small elastic
(1/16"?) cord.  The cord is perhaps a 11" long.  I made up a couple of
these.  On cold nights, I simply clip one end to the left side "draft
stopper" fabric, run the elastic under the pad and clip it to the opposing
side.  I put one at about the shoulder area and another around the waist
area.  The elastic allows it to flex in and out as I turn and pulls itself
back when I settle.  It also keeps the draft stopper tucked under the pad so
even during the turn it does not gap open.  The solution weighs about two
ounces.  I am going to keep extra elastic cord in my bounce box.

With a two person, I doubt any of that will be even a consideration.  There
is nothing like another body in the bag to keep you warm.

I hope you find that helpful.

BillB  (YTNH)