[pct-l] pct-l Digest, Vol 41, Issue 6

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 10:23:27 CST 2007

Paul writes: Anybody have any suggestions on where to start?  I  have
questions like:

A) arch support, since you can't modify it with an  insert
B) any issues with exposed toes?  i.e. stubbing on rocks,  etc
C) how about cold or wet conditions?
I have done a lot of sandal hiking and really like it.  Go to
_www.biteshoes.com/outdoor/styles/3702a.htm_
(http://www.biteshoes.com/outdoor/styles/3702a.htm)  and  check these sandals out.  This is what I use.  I glue in some
SuperFeet insoles to the sandal.  I also use Velcro to secure the insoles  to the
sandal's foot bed.  What a great ride down the trail.

The only issue you will have is  kicking out some pebbles every once in
awhile.  No big deal.  You will  have to clean your socks or change them everyday.
Again, not a big deal  for a blister free ride down the trail.

Your feet can dry out using sandals  and cause cracks in your skin.  Just use
some Bag Balm (Walmart pet  section) everyday on your feet and no problem.
Carry the Bag Balm in a  tight fitting jar, since heat will make it semi liquid.

As far as cold goes, just wear some  extra socks or storm stocks in rain.
Very easy to do.

It is cool to come to a stream  crossing and everyone are talking off their
boots and you just splash  through.  Ha, ha, ha.  Too cool.

Yes, sandal hiking is very nice to  do and with a little preparation can be a
joy out on the trail.

Cheers, Switchback the Sandal  Pirate

http://www.aol.com.