[pct-l] the pct and memory

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Mar 6 11:54:52 CST 2007

Jeff Moorehead wrote:
> I have definitely experienced this as well. I figure that if this finally
> happens enough times and you are able to recover the entire hike by memory,
> then you'll finally have 'conceptualized' the whole experience. For some
> strange reason, I am getting these lucid flashbacks from points much earlier
> in my hike, rather than later. I can remember some stretches of southern and
> northern Cali much more easily than I can Oregon, even though I visited the
> latter more recently. Maybe one of the neurologists on the trail can explain
> this phenomenon. Maybe I'll get around to Washington in a couple of months.

i've noticed this too, and not just for the socal sections that i've
hiked multiple times. i've chalked it up to the fact that there were
alot more hikers around further down south, and i think we're probably
more predisposed to retain social memories rather than solitary
experiential ones. does that sound right?

gs