[pct-l] device advice

t.n. turner barnumbaileypdx at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 16:20:15 CST 2007

Hi Katie,
As you have gotten information on GPS units, which I know very little to
nothing about, I thought I'd address the Grandma aspect! As my grandmothers
have passed, I have only to deal with my mom, her friends and any of my
friends who worry too much. I only told my mom this past Sunday that I was
going to attempt a thru-hike again. I didn't want her to worry too much.

So, if this is what your Grandmother's thoughts are about a GPS, that she
won't have to worry as much. . . well she probably will anyway! So, I
personally would try to explain that the weight of this device isn't worth
what use you might get out of it. Don't waste her money or space in your
backpack (or weight), by trying to allay fears that honestly won't stop.

As much as my mom trusts me and knows my abilities in the 'wilderness', she
still worries about me. But she worries about all her children and
grandchildren regardless of what they are doing!! What she and my partner
are trying to figure out how to do, is to 'chip' me so they can follow a
bleep on the map as I walk north!! But even then, they would both still
worry about me, and perhaps not needlessly!!

Try not to waste her money, but if she is dead set on it, look on Craig's
list or other places, maybe you can find a used one that will fall into an
acceptable weight range too!!

Good Luck!
Tammy