[pct-l] pct training course: " PCT-Prep"

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Tue Mar 6 21:14:18 CST 2007

Jason,

The pct-prep course of last year that L-Rod refers to so often and you can
see in our Website Gallery, was a 4-day tour into Desolation Wilderness off
highway 50, S. Lake Tahoe.  Requests this year have been for something
shorter that focuses on the specific skills you guys are going to need to
know along the crest, route-finding by eye, map memory, topographic
awareness, snow dangers, self-arrest and ice axe training, avalanche
avoidance, getting water from frozen lakes and streams without falling in,
how to deal with frozen shoes and do I want to, and more.

However, the reason for this Clinic also includes providing for you a
"shake-down cruise" to test all your systems, food, gear, and strategies in
some pretty tough conditions, so the trip will likely remain a 4-day,
whether a Base trip or a Tour, regarding whether we hike each day or not,
will be up to the group.

At present, there are three interested parties.  Trips go with 6 or more.
Most are looking at the end of March.

All hikers of the crest trail or divide who expect to encounter steep snow
this year should attend some kind of winter skills training before arriving
at the start of their trip.  If you need it, you may be safer for it.  Every
year hikers face obstacles and situations on-trail that challenge their
judgment.  Practicing with challenging situations with instruction before a
major expedition will give you greater confidence and peace of mind while on
the trail.

The cost of the clinic is dropping as well.

Any other questions?

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com