[pct-l] Satellite versus Cell phone

matt maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Wed Mar 7 12:01:03 CST 2007

I wouldn't think you'd use it as you would a cellular phone, unless you
just hit the MegaMillions ;-), or George Soros, or Bill Gates is your daddy

With out any doubt the coverage is better, is the celluar coverage
sufficient? guess it depends how you define sufficient.

If you want to call from where ever you are you'll need a satellite
phone, places like High Sierra, more remote parts of the trail in
Northern California, Oregon, & Washington, & Canada

My experience section hiking is celluar was, it was good enough for me,
call in every few days or so...no need to find pay phones in places with
cell service

The cost of a satellite phone is like $1.50 per minute  with fractions
rounded up &  a monthly service fee plus you  own your equipment  $600
or something like that .

I think you can rent them weekly or monthly too.

Matt