[pct-l] Southbound WA section hiker

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Fri Mar 9 01:32:10 CST 2007

"... and if the trails are mostly intact at Mount Rainier (after November's
devastating flooding), the Wonderland Trail ...
... Speaking of the Wonderland Trail, I'd like to invite any thru-hiker or
PCT-L member so inclined to take a side trip from the PCT to hike it with
us.  It would add about 93 totally amazing, premium miles to your hike.
About 5 days, right?"

I did the Wonderland trail in August right after about a 150 mile stretch of
the PCT, and can't resist a couple of comments.

>From what I've read about the last 2006 storms, there's no way anyone will
be able to do the whole Wonderland trail in 2007.  I'd be delighted to be
proven wrong, but it was indeed a devastating event.  You can likely google
up some data on this, or I can find details if you can't.

Adding the Wonderland trail on the spur of the moment isn't recommended
either; one can only camp in designated sites, which are reserved ahead of
time; I had planned to go in 2005 but started planning too late, couldn't
reserve all the needed sites (glad I made it last year ...).

"About five days".  For some thru-hikers, no doubt, but I would plan on
below-average hiking mileage around the Wonderland trail; it's steeper on
average, it seems like you're always climbing up to some high point or down
to some water crossing, and it's not graded for horses as the PCT is.

It IS fantastic, turned out to be better than my already-high expectations,
even after having good weather and views for Goat Rocks and the Mt. Adams
wilderness area on the PCT just a week or two before.  I highly highly
recommend this, once it's open for round-tripping again.   Just get your
requested campsites sent in as soon as they open for that in whatever year
you plan to do it.

	Brian Lewis