[pct-l] 1st day

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Fri Mar 9 18:20:52 CST 2007

Hey Cris,

Try starting in the early morning if you can. That will give you plenty of
time to make Lake Morena.

Here's a concept that takes a bit of getting comfortable with: your whole
life is on your back. What this means is you can start and stop anytime and
anywhere. I know that's stating the obvious, but it takes a bit of getting
used to. Your next water source will be your most pressing daily concern
unitil you reach Rock House Basin in the Sierras.

As far as first-day water goes, twice I've made it to Lake Morena on 3
liters of water. 3 Liters will get you at least to Hauser Creek (16 miles),
if not another seasonal source before. If you don't want to rely on seasonal
sources, take whatever you think you need to get to Lake Morena. Fill-up and
tank-up at the Border Patrol station.