[pct-l] Words about the HERD

yogi yogihikes at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 12 20:09:40 CDT 2007

The only stats I know of are on the 2007 PCT Yahoo!
group.  Based on this data only, there is NOT a herd
created by the ADZ.  People are starting their hikes
on the dates that suit them personally.  Same thing
happened last year.

A quick glance at TrailJournals shows ~20 hikers out
of 72 who have journals starting their hikes during
the ADZ weekend.  Some journalists don't have start
dates listed, however.

Here's how the herd is created:

A bunch of hikers stop in Warner Springs and take a
zero.  Others catch up.  Can't resist soaking in the
pool for a day.  A bigger group hikes out together
than what hiked in together.

Next is Idyllwild.  Idyllwild is cool.  Many hikers
take zeros.  Others catch up.  The group grows.

Hello Big Bear City!  Thelma's has good food.  The BBQ
place is great.  Motel 6 is cheap.  The supermarkets
are wonderful.  People take one or two zeros.  The
spread-out group consolidates a little more.

By the time most of the hikers reach the 450-mile
mark, the original well-spread-out starters have
grouped together.  They're not spread out very much.
Many, many hikers take one or two or three zeros at
the Saufleys.  You can't resist it.  The group grows
in Agua Dulce.

Start dates be damned!!  It didn't matter when
everyone started.  Zero days, meeting new friends, and
enjoying the company of others causes hikers to group
together.  It's been one month on the trail.  Time to
chill, hang out, talk about the Mojave and the Sierra.
 Eventually the trail calls and everyone leaves Agua
Dulce.  But now the consolidated group is even tighter
than before.

This thread is like the bear canister thread, hiking
with a dog, guns on the trail, illegal immigrants,
the-most-snow-EVER-in-the-history-of-the-world..........blah,
blah, blah.  It's beaten to the ground every year
around this time as people get stir crazy.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com