[pct-l] 07 hikers, please boycot the HERD

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 21:12:44 CDT 2007

To my fellow classmates

Us Class of 07 hikers make the ultimate choice on this "Herd" issue.  Though
there are things influencing our behavior, we choose our start dates, where
we hike and when to clump which creates "the herd".  I live in Warner
Springs (pop. 300), which is the first and BIGGEST clump on the trail.  200
people in two weeks; most within one week. Warner Springs has a lot to offer
at this point on the trail and HELPS to create it's own Herd. It's
overwhelming on the local Post Office and businesses (but the Post Master,
though she'd prefer it different, says with a little pride "We handle it.")

In 2004 we were a couple of days behind "the herd".  We tried to catch up
with them.  I guess social bonding type reasons.  Potluck in Idyllwild,
Dinner for 24 at Thelmas (and those were the laggers), the ultimate trail
angel experience at the Sauffley's,
Party at the Anderson's and Meadow Ed's birthday party at Kennedy Meadows.
There are so many great places and reasons to Clump. We clumped, or
attempted to.  Us folks in the rear moved faster to be part of......the
Clump

In 2005 I jumped north to Walker Pass and hiked SOBO, flew to Canada and
Sobo from there.  No clump at all from me.

Us hikers create the herd.  I'm starting before the Kick Off again this year
then doubling back to the Kick Off (to Clump :)  ) then jumping back north
to declump.  Not clumping is a way of being nice to the Trail Angels and
supporting businesses along the trail.  The better they feel, the better
your experience.

Go Clumpless!
Boycot the Herd!
(Except maybe Meadow Ed's Birthday Party)

Warner Springs Monty