[pct-l] ADZ questions

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Tue Mar 13 11:34:27 CDT 2007

Hi,

I have been to the Annual Day Zero PCT Kick Off four times, though not as a thru-hiker. I have attended as both a section hiker and Trail Angel.  An enjoyable, educational, beneficial experience every time. The variety of speakers and educational topics remains applicable to both hiking in general and the pct specifically and adds to any hikers knowledge base. Plus, the very up-to-date information as the water resources, etc.

There has been, from the beginning, a very few, very verbal folks against the adz. Personality conflicts? Who knows, and it ultimately doesn't matter.

There will be a huge amount of hikers starting from Lake Morena for their thru or section hike. BUT, the variety of ways around that have been interesting. Many are now hiking all of Section A so that after the adz they get a ride from one of the MANY Trail Angels right there at the gathering to Warner Springs and head out 110.6 miles away from the border and 90.4 miles north of the adz. I've heard of past thru hikers starting even further north; hiking south to the Lake; attend the adz; continue south to the border then get their ride to where they need to pick up the trail to head north.

Variety is the spice of life; be creative; attend and enjoy all the adz and have a fun and safe hike.
How much would they have to spread out in order to solve the resource
demand problem?