[pct-l] Words about the HERD

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Mar 13 16:44:52 CDT 2007

I am extremely sorry to hear that you two feel that way.

We don't think it's a dead horse at all. We LIVE with it. We have to get READY for it.  We have to think about it, prepare for it, and try to manage it.  It is very REAL to us. And to the other trail angels, trail towns, post offices, etc. So, maybe in Kansas City, it's not an issue.  How nice for you.  It's like I've always said -- the organizers and the party-goers (and let's not forget the retailers with a product to sell) enjoy the party and go home, and we out here -- out of sight and out of mind -- get to deal with the aftermath.  But apparently it's too tiresome to be discussed in the forum meant for such discussion.

You'd think that since we live out here, and host nearly 100% of the hikers that have come through ikn the past 10 years, that we might know a thing or two about what's going on.

When I raise the issue, it's "blah, blah, blah." Geez, for all we do for hikers, and in fact have done for the both of you, you think we'd deserve a little more respect than that. Sorry that what we see out here, and what we have to say about our observations, has no weight in your opinion.

I will go on being a broken record, and take the heat as necessary (but don't expect me to not fire back).  I will raise the issue until it's resolved.  And it will be resolved -- either by our choice as a community, or it will be resolved for us as a community by means that we will not be able to control.

L-Rod