[pct-l] Words about the HERD

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 17:21:55 CDT 2007

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter it's worth. Just be careful folks; it is possible to shoot one's self in the foot while shooting off one's mouth. If you haven't learned that in today's business world, you'd better learn it now.

I would caution everyone to listen very closely to any comments from our Trail Angels, Post Masters/Mistresses, Motel owners, etc.  before dismissing them out of hand. They won't always be right, but they are a voice that must be heard. These are the folks upon whose generosity and hospitality we as hikers depend. Unfortunately, over the years folks seem to have come to look upon their services as a right of passage along the trail. Of course the Sauffleys, Pearsons, and the myriad of others who maintain caches or provide other services along the 2600 miles will always be there to wait upon us. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. We've lost several trail angels and worn out our welcome at some trail towns with that attitude over the years.

In my mind's eye, I can foresee the day when some Trail Angels will feel the need to limit the number (or gender or nationality or you-name-it) of hikers allowed on their property at any one time. They might even quit completely. There might very well be no room for us at the inn when we arrive. Anti-discrimination laws do not apply to those who provide their services for free out of the generosity of their hearts. It only takes a few bad experiences to cause a negative reaction that can be hard to overcome.

I've never hiked south of Mojave, but would not look forward to doing so without the support of the Trail Angels, Post Masters/Mistresses, Motel owners, etc. between there and the border. I'm not Jim Bridger; I like my comfortable zero days in town.

Bottom line - we need them far more than they need us.

Wandering Bob