[pct-l] Words about the HERD

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Mar 13 19:54:05 CDT 2007

Slyatpct at aol.com wrote:

> They could do that and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to when I
> started.  Regardless, you're still going to have 300 hikers starting from  mid April
> to mid May with the majority starting in-between.

with all due respect to those most impacted by the herd (and believe me,
i do fully understand and respect your positions on this issue), i have
to say that i agree with sly's statement. i think the current herd issue
that we're seeing has more to do with the overall increasing awareness
and popularity of the pct thru-hike, largely due to the internet. i know
that i for one would never have gained the confidence to even THINK that
i could attempt a thru-hike were it not for forums such as the pct-l and
trailjournals.

if in the coming years we have, say, 400 people starting a thru-hike (or
a section hike of considerable length) at campo, and we spread them out
evenly between april 15th and may 15th, that's still about 12 people
starting per day, which means that you're going to end up with a clump
at some point, human nature being what it is. even if you double that
start date window from april 1st to may 31st, that still makes about 6
people starting per day, which to my mind still makes a significant
clump likely.

i guess the bottom line for me is that we shouldn't be arguing about
whether or not the herd is a problem. clearly it is. the question really
is, what is the major reason for the herd? i personally suspect it's
mostly a matter of more thrubies every year, combined with the
relatively narrow start date window. and what can be done about this? i
dunno, but i personally don't like the idea of actively dissuading folks
from thru-hiking altogether.

girlscout