[pct-l] Words about the HERD

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Mar 13 20:09:18 CDT 2007

Brian,

I enjoyed your remarks.  Just one thing:  just how effective do you think it would be to walk around to a bunch of people who are having a party and tell them that their party is causing problems, not now, but later?  I'd get kicked out and laughed at.  They don't care -- they want to drink beer and visit with their friends! It wouldn't work at all.  And besides, I'd be too busy visiting with all of our trail friends, and would get completely distracted (been there, done that).

I had also tried working through "channels" as they're called, when I was an ADZ organizing committee member. That went nowhere, and was extremely frustrating. Bottomline, I disagree with the fundamental purpose of their event, which is a starting event.  So, if I don't think it's right to stage a starting event, I cannot support it.

I've given this a great deal of thought, and believe that not supporting the event, and letting people know why, is the most effective way I can use my name and position in the community to get the message out there.  And, it has been effective in that I started a dialogue two years ago that hasn't stopped, which was more than was being discussed before.

To me, boycotting is a great pacifist tactic, that can yield great results.

L-Rod