[pct-l] Clumps, herds and where to find them...

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Wed Mar 14 11:52:07 CDT 2007

> The key question that I think remains unanswered is:
> What do people think a 'normal' pattern, absent a KO, would be?

Simple answer: A collection of hikers without artificially influenced start
dates results in natural patterns.

There is no 'normal' start date. It will vary from year to year. The
resulting 'pattern' is unimportant. What is important, people are not
influenced by the will of a few who choose a start date a year in advance,
resulting in 'unnatural' dispersion.

If destructive herding, overcrowding, etc., still exists then that would be
the next problem to resolve. But we won't know until the artificially
created problem is removed.

As the number of hikers increases, I think it's interesting that we are at a
point to create change *before* disaster strikes, as opposed to reacting
poorly after the fact. We can get off our butts and do something
constructive now or wait till a real problem arises; like restricting
permits (which will ultimately be the solution anyway).

"Man is a party animal. As long as he's happy, nothing will change"

Scott