[pct-l] Repair of Carbon Fiber Poles - some advice

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Wed Mar 14 11:51:06 CDT 2007

Just a few tips on how to extend the life of tent poles:

1) When sliding them together into their end-sleeves, make sure all
dirt, grit or sand is brushed off. Gritty pole ends abrade and become
loose inside their sleeves which eventually work the sleeve open wider
and makes the metal tear easier.
2) When packing up your poles, pull them apart from the middle, then at
the quarters. This helps keep the shock cord from getting stretched out.
3) Try to gently insert each pole tip into it's sleeve when pitching and
to gently pull them out (keeping the poles straight). Make a habit of
inspecting the pole tips and sleeves for deformation of the sleeves. In
my experience, the sleeves will function when deformed for some time
before they tear. Keeping a spare tube is a good idea, but if you catch
the problem early, you can repair it at the next rail town, or at home.

As with anything, if it isn't going together as easily as it should,
don't force it.

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com