[pct-l] bunching up on the trail, AT-style

Suzanne Courteau wishfrog at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:41:53 CDT 2007

>How is this problem delt with on the AT?

We don't have a KO on the AT. It's up to individual hikers to get the
informatin they need via publications, lists, websites, and other
hikers.

There's Trail Days in Damascus, VA, in mid-May, and a few smaller
fairs up the trail throughout the year. (For reference, I think the
bulk of AT thru-hikers start Mar 15-end of April). People regularly
shuttle back to Trail Days, then shuttle back to the trail after its
over.

Oh, and Trail Days, to hear the hikers talk, is now super-crowded and
super-full of drunks. Not my scene, so I don't go.

(Oh, and the big decrease in AT hikers from '01 to '02? Millenium
Fever, baby! Tons of people were on the trail and traveling around the
world that year.)

Suzanne Courteau
"Bedouin"