[pct-l] The Herd is a FACT...

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 17:15:25 CDT 2007

gwtmp01 at mac.com writes:

So  you've got 90-114 hikers starting within a five day period around  the
kickoff. You could argue that most hikers would start on a weekend  and
that the kickoff happens to occur at the 'sweet-spot' and so the  same
number of hikers would start in that period regardless of the  kickoff.

That's exactly what I'm arguing.  I know I've said it time after time,  but
if you want to reach KM towards the begining of June at what I consider a
normal break in pace for the PCT of about 17 miles per day, you're going to  leave
the end of April.  The slower ones will leave earlier, and the faster  ones
later.   Regardless 90% will be starting within a month of each  other two
weeks around the kick-off.

Personally, an earlier start, 4/1 would get me to KM too early.  Also,  in
the south, distances between water resources dictates mileage on several
occasions.  I also wouldn't want to start in mid May because I'm not  particualry
fond of the heat.

It's easy to say you want to hikers to spread out, to go clumpless, but  when
a hikers  planning it doesn't always work that way, unless you  can pass and
stay ahead of the pack.  somewhere, sometime just abot  everyone is going to
be in the same area.

Sly

http://www.aol.com.