[pct-l] Kickoff Staged Discussion

Tom Reynolds tomreynolds_ilan at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 01:19:34 CDT 2007

Actaully Monty we don't give a shit who shows up.

  We have tried to limit the publicity/exposure of the ADZ because that's not we are all about.

  We have repeatedly turned down offers from publications (like Backpacker) who want to do articals about the ADZ to avoid publicity. The only publicity we seek is publicity for the Lake Morena Rangers because it is importent to them and we want their continued support for obvious reasons.

  Personally I don't like the growth of the ADZ into a semi-official event. Back when I ran the shindig we served wine and beer and I routinely consumed a sixpack (of wine). Now we have insurance to avoid some asshole sueing the organizers and don't serve any alcohol. That sucks!

  The best time ever at ther ADZ was the drunken judging of the "Beer Can Stove" contest made mostly out of Pepsi cans but nobody would admit that and expect to win.

  The second best time was the now famous Bear Canister Shootout where a Bear (Monte Dodge) tried to unsuccessfully break into a bear canister packed by a drunken backpacker (me). I was drunk at 10AM, by the way, because I was demonstrating to Brian Robinson the Reynolds approach to backpacking: Hike five miles and relax with a Sierra Cooler in your Slinglite chair. BTW, a Sierra Cooler is 151 Rum or Everclear and Crystal Light. Now Brian doesn't drink but he took a small sip of my Sierra Cooler. That was enough. Naturally I had to finish Brian's drink but he was still tipsey.

  The ADZ is about KINDNESS. Plain simple KINDNESS. Anyone can look for a hidden agenda, and many do, but the hidden agenda they impute to the ADZ organizers says lots about their worldview but nothing about the ADZ organizers. If somewhere between Campo and Manning they discover that KINDNESS still exists in the world they have finished their journey if not the trail.

  Regards,

  Tom Reynolds, The founder ADZPCTKO and asshole par excellance

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:
  Warner Springs Monty writes:

Hey, just had a warped thought. Maybe this whole thing is just a staged
discussion designed to promote the Kick Off. :) They say that "Any
advertising is good advertising". But, way beyond that, look at the amount of support
and amount benefit of the Kick Off that have been listed. Brilliant
Strategy!!! Better register early. It's easily an early sellout.
A page out of Switchback's play book. It is in the chapter called
"Marketing Ploy".

Thank you for your attention.

unsubscribe or change options: