[pct-l] Reading material

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Thu Mar 15 12:45:34 CDT 2007

You bet...best read of a long time and of course with the Sierra the main focus, any pct hiker would probably 'eat it up'.  Loved it. It's also in paperback now; wasn't a choice at first.

are we there yet
L-Rod:

I second your opinion about The Last Season.
Excellent book that provides a different look at a
much-loved highlight of the PCT, the High Sierra.
Hikers typically see rangers as rule-enforcers and
potential help in case of an emergency.  I never gave
them much thought otherwise.  The book details the
sacrifices that a dedicated backcountry ranger makes
to pursue living out there each season.  Hiking
addicts will see many parallels.  I'll certainly be
more understanding the next time I meet a ranger in
the backcountry.

Also, reading this book actually made me think a bit
harder about my life direction and helped spur me into
planning another big hike for this year.  Even more so
than Randy Morgenson, I found his parents to be an
inspiration for those wanting to escape city jobs for
something more meaningful in the outdoors.

Nocona