[pct-l] Feather Friends Snow Owl Bag

Jim Lynch jplynch at crosslink.net
Sat Mar 17 23:08:13 CDT 2007

it is sort of a hoot!  thnx!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hiker97 at aol.com
  To: jplynch at crosslink.net ; pct-l at mailman.backcountry.net
  Cc: carolwbruno at yahoo.com
  Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 12:01 AM
  Subject: Feather Friends Snow Owl Bag

  jplynch at crosslink.net writes:
    And where are you going with this baby!  Tell all!

  -------------------------------------
  For some reason I have always thought it would be very funny to pull into a 3-season campsite with other backpackers around and throw out a monster Mt. Everest type sleeping bag onto my sleeping pad.

  I would act like everything was normal and just go about doing my normal campsite chores.  I would carefully notice other backpackers taking quick glances at my bag as it grows larger and larger and larger.  Finally, some hikers wander over to act like they just want to say hello and talk, but soon attention turns to my bag.

  "Huh, I guess you think it is going to be a little chilly tonight."
  "You certainly don't need a bag liner with that one."
  "How many geese did it take to make that bag.  I bet a whole flock."
  "I guess you like to sleep in your birthday suit."
  "Can I just lay down in it just once, so I can tell my grandchildren someday?"
  "You say it is rated to minus 60 degrees.  How often do you zip it up?"
  "Is it okay to take a picture of it to post on my on-line journal?"
  "You say it cost over $900.  Wow, that is a SoCal thru hike expenses."
  "The 80 ounce bag weight is more than my base pack weight."
  "I guess you laugh at cold snaps."
  "Well with 12 inches of down all around you, drafts will not be a problem."
  "A mosquito is in for a big surprise trying to bite you in your bag."
  "That is the biggest stuff sack I have ever seen."
  "If you just lay on it, you will disappear."
  "What do you take on your 4-season hikes?"
  "Can you zip two of these together?"
  "Now that it has lofted, I can't see my tent anymore."
  "When you say you are going to take a meritorious combat nap, you mean it."

  I don't know why I think this situation is funny, but I do.

  Switchback the Goose