[pct-l] JMT Unsupported Speed Record?

Francis Tapon ft at francistapon.com
Mon Mar 19 12:02:47 CDT 2007

Elevator wrote:

> What is the official record?

Not sure. However, while I was along the JMT during my 2006 Sobo thru-hike I
heard that some guy was trying to beat the record. It wasn't clear if he was
behind us or in front of us. I heard he was trying to do it in 5 days, but I
could be wrong about that. If I'm right, then 5 days is the record.

> What does unsupported mean?  Can I use a food drop or re-supply (either at
> Muir TR or Reds Meadow)  or do I need to pack all food from start to
> finish?

Good question. Unsupported used to mean that you don't have a crew
resupplying you. It used to mean that you behaved like a typical thru-hiker
(meaning you get your own resupplies).

Now some fastpackers are trying to change the definition so that unsupported
means that you carry all the food/supplies with you. In other words, no
contact with anyone else and no caches. This is a more hardcore, strict
definition.

For example, when Maiu and I went from Tuolumne Meadows to Kennedy Meadows,
we were unsupported. We covered those 240 miles without a resupply. However,
just 10 miles south of Tuolumne we met some cowboys who had hundreds of
pounds of food and they gave us a little bit even though we didn't need it
(our packs already had 9 days of food). But we took it as insurance, which
we didn't need in the end. Some nerds would say that since we got that food
we weren't "unsupported." Some pics of the cowboys are here:

http://www.francistapon.com/pct/Sierra.htm

> If I start from the south, do I start at the summit of Mt. Whitney or
> Whitney Portal?  I presume this would be the summit but I wanted to check
> to be certain.

The summit of Whitney is a terminus of the JMT.

> How does one certify the start and end time?

Witnesses. Lots of witnesses. Film it. Photos. More documentation the
better.

> Are there any official "rules" for such a stunt?  I know Reinhold has held
> the record several times, but I have never seen any official rules of any
> sort.

I'm sure the rules are just common sense.

You might want to talk with Flyin' Brian, because he wants to break the JMT
speed record in August 2007:

http://www.golite.com/ambassador/gearlist.aspx?s=1&e=0&ch=1

Click on the link on that page to see his gear list. I had a similar
minimalist gear list when I did the first 70 miles of the PCT:

http://www.francistapon.com/pct/70miles.htm

Good luck!

Francis Tapon
Check out my 2 minute video: http://tinyurl.com/yyzdbo
Learn about my book, Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking
Across America, at: http://www.FrancisTapon.com