[pct-l] Jetboil

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Mon Mar 19 14:57:38 CDT 2007

While weeding through my 1500 emails, now back from another trip to Tahoe, I caught the discussion on Jetboil.

Mountain Education has been using them for the past year or two, winter and summer, and has found them to be quick, reliable, light (not by alcohol standards!), safe, affordable, and easy to use.  The large pot model works well for groups and packs up small enough.  The original 1-man version is my favorite, but has one problem - the stand doesn't work in snow!  I bring a flat sheet of aluminum to use as a base.  The fuel is predictably safe, the flame adjustment is smooth and accurate, it is easy to clean and repair, packs up small and contained, cooked food stays hot for a long time thanks to the pot's foam "jacket," and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy!  Since we operate out of one locale, we don't know how available the canisters are along the trail.

We have used MSR stoves for many years and thought highly of them except for they didn't simmer, were often very finicky to use, often clogged, needed an accessory stand in the snow, and required frequent repair - but sure could boil fast!

Hey, where is "Monty-of-the-North" on this subject of stoves new and old??